Government

Budget bungle continues

This year's Budget bungle continues, with the investigation into the leak of Treasury material having to be halted. 

The drama of the Budget leak continues, with the investigation being scrapped and restarted after a conflict of interest was identified.

On Wednesday, State Services Commissioner Peter Hughes announced he had terminated the investigation into how Budget-sensitive material was accessed at the Treasury.

Hughes said the integrity of the investigation, led by Murray Jack, had been compromised after a member if the investigation team failed to declare a conflict of interest.

Hughes said he decided to stop the investigation, and begin a new probe, with a new head.

“Near enough is not good enough when it comes to integrity.”

He was not prepared to continue with the initial investigation and risk any possibility of compromise.

“Starting the investigation again is the right thing to do,” Hughes said. “Near enough is not good enough when it comes to integrity.”

The investigation was set up to address concerns about the security of the Treasury’s Budget process, after the National Party managed to access documents ahead of their release.

Jenn Bestwick has been appointed to lead the fresh investigation, and the terms of reference remain the same.

Hughes said he expected the total cost of the inquiry, including the new investigation, would be completed within or near the original budget of $250,000. The new investigation is expected to report at the end of February.

We value fearless, independent journalism. We hope you do too.

Newsroom has repeatedly broken big, important national news stories and established a platform for quality journalism on issues ranging from climate change, sexual harassment and bullying through to science, foreign affairs, women’s sports and politics.

But we need your support to continue, whether it is great, small, ongoing or a one-off donation. If you believe in high quality journalism being available for all please click to become a Newsroom supporter.

Become a Supporter

Comments

Newsroom does not allow comments directly on this website. We invite all readers who wish to discuss a story or leave a comment to visit us on Twitter or Facebook. We also welcome your news tips and feedback via email: contact@newsroom.co.nz. Thank you.

With thanks to our partners